Thursday, July 24, 2008

So You Think You Can Dance: The Top Eight Quick Thoughts

For the past two seasons, Top Eight week is where I have lost my favorites: Alison from Season Two and Sara and Dom from Season Three. This season my favorites have been Mark and Chelsie. Odds are this show is going to piss me off once again. Odds are also pretty good that I will hate everything about this show when I'm done with this episode. Since I couldn't get any screenies up I'm just going roll a little more scatterbrained than usual.

Okay this "IV Real" business has got to stop. The intro solos had every single one of the dancers posing with their "IV Real" signes on their shoulder. You know who else used the "IV Real" saying as their trademark? Chris Benoit, my favorite wrestler who went nutso and killed his wife and kid. Not saying there's any intended connection there, it just makes it all that more fucking annoying.

Cat grabbed the oranger cream instead of the bronzer cream tonight. Whoa Toni Basil is our guest judge. Thoughts immediately go to the fat cheerleader in the "Mickey" video. She would have been awesome on this show. I also flashback to the time I actually said "Yeah, that Mickey song is okay, but I think "Shopping From A to Z" is a hundred times better".

As far as the couple go Josh gets Chelsie, Will gets Courtney, Twitch gets Katee, and Mark gets Comfort. Guess who the jidges want to send home this week?

This week the dancers give an extended video piece on how they started dancing. The most interesting bits are that Comfort actually went to a performing arts school where she had technical training. Twitch choreographed videos in South Korea for nine months. Will was inspired to start dancing by Patrick Swayze in Dirty Dancing. What are the odds any other young African-American dancers were inspired to dance by Patrick Swayze? Sigh, I hate you Jidges. There's also this part where Mark explains that he was kind of an outcast and that he was the only make dancer at school and he was recalling the label which the other kids at school gave him. He stumble a bit bit before he settled on "the boy dancer". Yeah, Mark sure that's what the kids in high school called you.

All the routines were pretty good as a whole but when you add the judges comments to what was actually performed, it becomes a shit storm. Will and Courtney did an okay Samba which was overpraised. Mary even did a checklist of Will's technical mistakes but glosses over them. Meanwhile, Mark and Comfort did an okay Foxtrot. Every technical mistake was highlighted. The Samba by design was a bit more fun, but technically it was as flawed if not more than the Mark-Comfort Foxtrot. The audience reaction was pretty much the same. The Nigel and Mary trashed Mark and Comfort to the extent that Toni Basil had to remind everyone that their Hip-Hop was fabulous to balance it out.

Going back to earlier in the show Comfort and mark had an actual hard hitting Nappytabs Hip-Hop which was probably the best number of the night. Nigle used his time to criticise Comfort's solo. WTF? Mary thought it was great but no Mary scream. Meanwhile, Will and Courtney have a "lyrical hip-hop" piece by Nappytabs which of course revolved around another needy chick, who this time can't let go of a lover's memory. For the dance to be called hip-hop was bulshit. The Jidges loved it of course and there were screams even though this was not a make you scream kind of piece. I hate this show so much right now.

Other tidbits from the performances.

Joshua and Chelsea had a disco routine that had some amazing lifts . It also had the worst dancing of the night and at one point Joshua actually fell the fuck over. There was no mention of this at all. this was the last routine and I was convinced the jidges had prewritten all of their critiques tonight.

Katee and Twitch had a Mia Michaels contemporary routine which involved a door a pshyco girlfriend, an open mouth kiss, and some good old fashioned domestic violence. It was pretty much an educational film on when you should file a restraining order. K and T also did a Broadway to "Sweet Georgia Brown" a song I thought was only whistled at Harlem Globetrotter games. I had no idea the song had lyrics. It was as shocking to me as if someone busted out a singing version of the 90210 theme.

Will put on a wig and supposedly did a James Brown impersonation. Since when did the Godfather of Soul ever do ballet pirouettes? It was such a "look at me I've got personality" move.

This show was pretty much designed to boot Mark and Comfort out of the competition. So no predictions are necessary and it looks like Mark will be carrying on the tradition of the TC and M Top Eight jinx.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have faith Paj. America could potentially boot Will and Chelse.
Its not up to the judges.

I haven't watched it yet, I just had to check TC&M because this is where I got for the good info.

If Twitch got Kate would that make their team named Twat?

Anonymous said...

balls
balls
BALLLS

OMG OMG OMG

I called it ... almost.

I ment to say "Have faith Paj. America could potentially boot Will and Courtney" because Chelse is the girl you want to stay.

which means I would have called it.

I feel empty inside though :(