Wednesday, June 11, 2008

So You Think You Can Dance: Previewing the Top 20

I'm back on the reality show recap train suckas! So You Think You Can Dance is back and we're through with the cattle call shows and the competition starts for real this Wednesday night with the Top 20. I'll admit usually the cattle call shows suck, but they did a better job this year of building some pretty good story lines culminating with the final Vegas cut down show (note: they really should devote two shows to this)

So, after lots of crying, dancers throwing tantrums and otherwise talking themselves off the show and what is the biggest upset ever, the daughter of the choreographer of the High School Musical franchise didn't make the top 20! I had her pegged as top 4 minimum. Anyway here's the top 20 and my early thoughts after the jump.


Gev, was introduced as the ice-skating break dancer who actually had a pretty cool audition solo. He'll be a contender for the non-threatening white dude vote, but he definitely has some competition. Other than that he's got some unique moves as a breaker, but he has to rely on his breaking he's got his work cut for him.


Kourtni L was a dancer they picked up in Milwaukee. She's a contemporary dancer whom Nigel stated bore a resemblance to Uma Thurman. He then said they should sign her up For Kill Bill:The Musical. Seriously, yo, I would be all over that show. I don't see her lasting all that long.


Joshua was called out by Debbie Allen, no less as possibly being more than a street dancer. He's athletic as hell and had to have at least some gymnastics training in there somewhere since he can pull out a backflip like it was nothing. He could go really far, if he's had some formal training. Even if he falls short with a partner his solo's are crowd pleasers.


Didn't notice her during the cattle call shows, but her bio says she competed in the Miss California pageant and her style is contemporary ballet. I don't see her lasting very long either.


I remember he was one of the contemporary dancers who rocked the hoops shorts during their auditions. I just thought that was strange. His bio says he'll be dancing in the movie "American Mall" released this Fall. This is the type of guy who might be a Travis type and get a strong following as the show progresses.


Courtney G. is continuing a trend on SYTYCD of NBA dancers making the cut. She's a New York Knicks City Dancer so she'll probably be able to hit any hip-hop routines they throw at her and her training goes across the board. I see her going very far in the competition, unless her personality sucks.


I thought this guy was cool when he auditioned to a spoken word piece. Of course they waited until Las Vegas to let the viewers know he was an actual protegee of Debbie Allen. Well then, I think dance world politics aside he'll do very well. One of my early favorites for top 4.



Katie almost talked her self out of the competition by having the nerve to tell the Jidges that she wasn't sure if she would come back next year if she were cut. They had the arrogance to equate that with giving up dancing and gave her the "how could you give up on your dreams at 19 speech". Yes the longer this show stays on the more the show becomes a parody of itself. I saw her in the auditions she was kind of boring and based on the negative screen time I'll bet she goes home early.



Twitch is my personal favorite to win this season. I thought he was great last year and should have been in the Top 20 last season (not over Hok, but over some other schlub). I hope he'll do well with a partner. He had a year to work on it.


We go from my favorite to instant hate. It's not that she's done anything offensive, it's just from that opening Avril Levine intro she got in her audition show she's been force fed. We didn't see much of her actual dancing in the Vegas show so I don't know how well she's going to do, but I do know is that even her name ahnnoys me.


Let's see this guy's specialty is partner dancing,he was a US West Coast Swing Champion (oh no) and his favorite dancer is Benji f'n Schwimmer. I thought we were done with these Schwimmer people!!! Fuck me, he's top 4 guaranteed which means lots of guest appearances from Benji, Heidi, and Lacey. Can't wait. By "wait" I mean "imagine how I can keep from poking my eyes out.


Okay, here's another partner dancer that they pushed quite a bit, this time with the financial hardship story. Sorry if I don't feel bad for someone who almost couldn't afford expensive dance lessons, living in Forclosureville and all. Still her bio says she's some sort of US team dancer and she is kinda cute...


No clue on this guy other than he is one of the many male contemporary dancers on the show. Even his bio is boring. I hope he gets Krump on the first night.


I have nothing to really say about this one either since she didn't get much screen time. Except hearing Kat call someone "Jessiker" makes me smile among other things. Her bio says one of her nicknames is Busty. She's got my vote!


Contemporary dancer with an oddball dance style. He had a solo to "BOhemian Rhapsody" that was pretty cool for the 15 seconds they showed of it. He doesn't seem all that faggy for a contemporary dancer.


This season's token hot dancer, except that she's not really that hot and she's not all that great of a dancer. She dresses slutty though which is a plus. The show will remind us everyweek that she's on that she's a teacher...and hot! Looking forward to her Shakira wannabe solos though. Yum!

He had no screen time and he's a contemporary dancer who reminds me of last year's Danny. Next!


Jazz-funk, contemporary dancer and Dallas Mavericks Dancer to boot! She's gonna be tough to beat.


This dude was a dancer in High School Musical 1 and 2. He made it but the HSM choreographer's daughter didn't. Heh. He looks like a poon.


We saw Nigel call her the best female hip-hopper he's ever seen. We didn't see her dance all too much. Her bio says she does have some formal training.

Well it's gonna be a long night...I'm sticking with it as long as the Jidges don't get too unbearable. I don't trust how they roll though. SUCKAS!







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In watching the top 20 there really isn't anyone I care about. Other then Twitch of course, but I only know Twitch because he personally lost to Hok.

I mean there were a lot of people who lost to Hok, but this guy was straight ONE UPPED by Hok, it was awesome.