Friday, April 28, 2006

Hip-Hop Covers Mix Vol. 1

Okay, I'm a covers freak but I hesitate doing lists like this because I'm bound to forget a song or two. So I'll just label this Vol. 1. Most of these tend to lead towards the acoustic side.

BK Baby-Ben Kweller orig. Vanilla Ice
I saw him when he opened for Evan Dando in Foley's Basement in San Fran. IT was just BK and an acoustic guitar I didn't realize it was "Ice Ice Baby" until the line "Flowing like a harpoon daily and nightly" I looked around and the others who caught it just busted out laughing.

"It's Tricky" Bloodhound Gang orig. Run-DMC
A rippin version of one of my all time favorite songs. In a perfect world these guys would be HAYUUGGE!!!!

"Gin and Juice" The Gourds org. Snoop Doog
This was one of the most mislabelled Napster songs of all time. Does this song suck ass? No, it does not. Then it's not the Barenaked Ladies, fuckers! ...Click the link to read the rest of the article

"I Need Love" Luka Bloom orig. L.L. Cool J.

The first folk hip-hop cover I ever heard. I was on the road late one night in South Carolina litening to the USC station. Hearing "...Get cozy and huddle, I'll Lay Down my Jacket so you could walk over a puddle" sung to an acoustic guitar by an Irishman invoked the third loudest "No F'N Way!!!" In my lifetime.

"Boyz in the Hood" Dynamite Hack orig. N.W.A.
I kinda feel obliged to put this on the list even though hearing this cover makes me want to punch the band in the face.

"Bring the Noise" Anthrax orig. Public Enemy
I absolutely have to rip shit up every time I hear this song. Their "Looking Down a Barrel of a Gun" cover is awesome too!

"Bithces Ain't Shit" Ben Folds Five orig. Snoop
Hearing Ben Folds exclaim "Here's a little conversation fo your ass!" gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside. Like most Ben Folds covers, this rules!

"Straight Outta Compton" Nina Gordon orig. NWA
She has such an angelic voice that makes my heart melt when she sings "Niggas start to mumble, they wanna rumble, mix em and cook em in a pot like gumbo". I'm gonna have this playing at my next chardonnay picnic.

"Baby Got Back" Richard Cheese orig. Sir-Mix-A-Lot
I could have picked a bunch of songs from this Lounge Master...I picked this one, since well... you should be able to figure it out by now.

"Ms. Jackson"-the Vines orig. Outkast
Forever..forever-ever? Word!

"Creep" Afghan Whigs orig. TLC
Creep is one of my all time favorite songs but I couldn't admit it until my Watts in San Fran. pointed out that I had put a version of "Creep" on five consecutive mixes that I had made for her.

"Still Dre" Phantom Planet Orig. Dr. DRE
My ex-girlfriend and I saw this covered live. She actually squeed and said "How Cute!". I'm over it now. It is really cute. (sigh)

"You Know I'm a Ho" Master P and Ice Cube orig. Whodini
A pure hip-hop cover of a hip hop classic. Trust me, the original hasn't aged well. I tried bumpin' Whodini's version with the windows down once...then I started doing the robot...then I punched myself in the face.

"Sabotage" Phish orig. Beastie Boys
The only cover on this list that you can smell.

Yacht Rock Quote of the Week!




"Hi, I'm Hollywood Steve, you've caught me taking a shit!"- Hollywood Steve Yacht Rock #3

No comments: