Monday, May 29, 2006

Another music post

I have the day off Monday, but dammit I can't sleep!

So if you've read my American Idol reaps you've heard me refer to music I don't like or listen to without specifically mentioning what I actually listen to. I can't really answer that question these days since my music tastes are all over the place. The more eclectic the better. Hating's the easy part. For example I guarantee you I will not buy Chris Daughtry's first album, but out of the Idol singers he's probably the only one you could say that about.

Anyway here's what I'm listening to these days. It's not really groups or artists in particular but rather variations that have caught my interest these days.

MASH UPS!!!!
For years I've heard shitty club DJ's try mixing different songs but I hadn't really thought much of the form until I heard Dangermouse and the Grey Album which mixed Jay-Z's The Black Album with The Beatles White Album. That's the album that hooked me and whenever I get the chance I hunt for mashups. One of the easiest places to start is BOOTIE The site has the top ten mashups of the week available for download off the website. Even better they have their best of 2005 mixtape CD'd available for download too HERE Highlights for me are Smells Like Compton which is a Nirvana vs. N.W.A mashup and Badd to Me which is a Yin Yang Twins vs. The Cure mashup which is pure genius! Every track on downloadable CD is awesome. Great if your either looking for something new or if you've got to get some music for parties or a radio show. Anyway make sure you check out www.bootiesf.com. It's a great launching pad into the world of mashups.

COVERS

You might remember the article I wrote Tortilla Chips and Milk: Hip-Hop Covers Mix Vol. 1 Well my quest for perfect covers isn't limited to hip-hop. Two of my favorite cover concept albums are Less than Jake's "Greased" which covers the music of movie Grease with a punk/emo twist. The Not Another Teen Movie soundtrack has some great updated covers of 80's classics like "Tainted Love" and "Please. Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want". The cover addition I have is best satiated by the podcast Coverville You don't have to have an iPod to listen. Twice a week Coverville brings together a varied mix of covers encompassing the entire music spectrum. Try it out!





Tags:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't download the Ying Yang Twins song....i took too long to find the site :(