Thursday, April 12, 2007

Kurt Vonnegut passes away

I just read the Kurt Vonnegut passed away today. You can check out the New York Times Article here

Now I tend to gravitiate towards literature and counter culture that is contemporary to me, which makes me an anachrocist(?) or something, and Vonnegut was a little before my time. Still, I remember reading "Slaughterhouse-Five" for the first time at a young age and I remember vividly how the book opened and challenged my mind. You don't forget works that influence you like that. For years "Cat's Cradle" was one of the books I kept in the trunk of my car that I would pull out for leisure reading. Still, like many of my generation, my first exposure to Vonnegut actually came in the Rodney Dangerfield movie Back to School, in which Tall and Fat Men's clothing empressario, Thornton Mellon, attempts to buy a degree. He donates buildings for the University, he reconstructs his dorm room into a party palace and he hires experts to write his term papers, which lead to this classic scene (courtesy of IMDB memorable quotes section)

[after Diane gives Thornton an 'F' for his report, which was actually written by Kurt Vonnegut]
Diane: Whoever *did* write this doesn't know the first thing about Kurt Vonnegut!
[cut to Thornton's dorm suite]
Thornton Melon: [on the phone] ... and *another* thing, Vonnegut! I'm gonna stop payment on the check!
[Kurt tells him off]
Thornton Melon: Fuck me? Hey, Kurt, can you read lips? *fuck you*! Next time I'll call Robert Ludlum!
[hangs up]

As a result of seeing Back to School I became curious about Kurt Vonnegut and soon I was reading "Slaughterhouse-Five." Lucky for me I didn't live in the Footloose town where the book was banned. So in tribute, I'd like to leave you with the most memorable scene from Back to School. The Triple Lindy. So it goes.

2 comments:

Fyre said...

I was so busy working on the story you beat me to the tribute.

I first read "Slaughterhouse-Five" and "Cat's Cradle" in high school. "Breakfast of Champions" blew my mind -- it was unlike anything else I'd experienced before.

Reading Vonnegut made the world a little funnier, a little more exciting, and a little more dangerous.

Never trust what grown-ups tell you.

Goodbye, Blue Monday. You will be missed.

Anonymous said...

<.<
>.>

I haven't heard of Kurt Vannagut, so I think i'll just bow my head in rememberence...