Saturday, July 22, 2006

The Rant- Clerks 2

After deciding a few weeks ago to pass on seeing it in the theaters, I changed my mind went to an early matinee showing of Clerks II. Don't get me wrong I am a huge fan of Kevin Smith's ViewAskewniverse and I've had regular viewings Clerks through J and SBSB and the DVD commentary that accompanied the movies over the last ten years or so. It's just that I am tired of seeing works that meant so much to me being rehashed a decade later in works that fail miserably and also taint the original work in the process. So after experiencing the last three shitty Star Wars Movies, Rocky 5, Godfather 3, andf the recent relaunch of Extreme Championship Wrestling, I thought it might be best to leave this sequel alone and just rewatch the original.

What really added to my cynicism was Smith's swearing up and down that J and SBSB was the final film featuring the ViewAskewniverse characters and that J and SBSB was his love letter to his fans. Of course, one failed film and several grounded projects later he comes back to Dante and Randall. Factor in the self-indulgent seminar DVD's and the Degrassi appearance where he finally gets to kiss his childhood crush Caitlyn Ryan, this sequel had "exploit" and "quick buck" written all over it.

Now I would love to come on here bitching and raving about how much I hated it, but I won't because I didn't. I can't recommend it to those who aren't already Kevin Smith fans. For those reading this who are, if J and SBSB was our love letter from Kevin Smith, then Clerks 2 was the Post Script where he eases up on the cameos, self- references, and farce and goes back to his bread and butter, which is strong dialogue, pop-culture obsessed thematic, and extreme "dick and fart" jokes. So those of you who loved Clerks, should definitely see this movie

I'm not going to spoil anything at all about this movie, just a little caveat though. If parts of the movie seem a little un-Clerks or Kevin Smith like, just think back to ten years ago, chances are you aren't as angry, bitter, or cynical as you used to be. I have a feeling Kevin Smith and his characters don't want to be that way either, but there's still that spark there through most of the film.

Fine, one spoiler...ass to mouth!

4 comments:

Justin said...

I'm not sure what to think of it. To also avoid spoilers, I enjoyed it, but it was pretty much the sort of movie I expected it to be and that was somewhat disappointing.

And I'm actually studying Microbiology right now ... "ass to mouth" is the new description I have attributed to a dozen different organisms.

Justin
More Cowbell

Anonymous said...

Did you stop off at the PS on the way home?

Paj said...

I think my lowered expectations of the film going into it combined with writing immediately after I got back from the movie are what shaped my positive views on the film. I caught a viewing of Jay and Slient Bob Strike Back last night on FX and it wasn't until the end of that that I realized why I left Clerks II happy. Smith created such strong characters in his Jersey Trilogy, well, Clerks and Chasing Amy, that getting some continuation of their stories is worth all the safe decisions and average filmmaking that J$SBSB and Clerks 2 had to offer.

Do I wish that Clerks II was in the "10 years later sequel" vein as Before Sunset - Before Sunrise? Sure, but those types of sequels are rare. I guess I was happy enough that the movie didn't have a gungan running around tripping over shit, which come to think of it, would have been a hell of a joke.

I would love to go into more detail but I really really want to avoid spoilers. I read a review before I saw the movie and was really pissed that alot of the best gags were discussed.

Thanks for the comments!

Anonymous said...

I gotta say what I feared the most happened. I got so hyped up at everyone saying they loved it that I walked in hoping for the greatest movie ever.

What I got I enjoyed.
I gotta agree with Paj here that Kevin Smith has grown up. This wasn't just a satire on pop culture and working retail this was a good story about the characters.

I really enjoyed that.

I live vicariously through Jay and Silent Bob, and they are still my heroes.

I do agree that this movie was brought about by the bomb that was Jersey Girl, and it bugs me that at the end of the credits he says "Jay and Silent Bob may be back, but for right now they are taking a break"

Why in the name of pie would you throw up an absolution like that when you are probally working on the script to Mallrats 2: Rat Harder right now.

After his next artsy film of Ben Affleck meets the Wolfman we will see more Jay and Silent Bob, we just gotta be patient.

Now if I could only get an Evil Dead 4 my fanatasism would be appeased.