Saturday, July 01, 2006

Songs You Should Know- "Bennie and the Jets" covered by Biz Markie

"Hey Ma what's for dinner? Reach up your nose and pick a winner!" -Biz Markie "Pickin' Boogers"

If I had my very own Mount Rushmore in Pajville , Biz Markie's face would be right up there between the Honky Tonk Man and the dude who founded White Castle. Most of you might remember the Biz from the ubiquitous I-can't-believe-it's-a-hit "Just a Friend". He's also popped up in random places from Beastie Boy cameos to a track on Handsome Boy Modeling School's "So, How's Your Girl?". The latter track consists of a phone call between Prince Paul and the Biz, in which the producer tries to convince Biz to sing the Bee Gee's "Night Fever" on the album. If you haven't heard it, it's comedy GOLD!

In the soundtrack of my life Biz's "The Biz Never Sleeps" still gets much playtime as I can never go too long without hearing "The Dragon", "Spring Again" or "The Mudfoot".

I first ran across Biz's "Bennie and the Jet's" cover in an issue of Grand Royal Magazine circa 95-96ish. (Note: this issue also contained a "mullets" article which is credited by some sources as the catalyst for launching the mullet obsession, talk about an all time classic ish!) The single was inserted in the magazine as a flexidisc, which could be torn out and played on a record player. Since actual record players weren't readily available to me at the time I couldn't listen to it. I could only dream of this song's greatness. Tragically, I didn't actually hear the single until a few years later during the golden age of Napster. When I finally heard it, the song was everything I had ever imagined. In the context of what I look for in musical entertainment, I was pretty damn close to enlightenment. Finally, it was released on CD, in all it's digital glory, on the Beastie Boys Anthology.

Flash forward another few years and I'm at a rehearsal party dinner in Connecticut. It was held, intentionally, in a karaoke bar/restaurant. Well, the groom and I decided we were going to perform a duet for he and his bride's family and friends. It didn't take us long to pick out Bennie and the Jets in the alphabetized song list. I don't remember which one of us said it, but it was decided last second to do it Biz Markie style (it was correctly assumed that the other was familiar with the single...I love my friends!) I would love to say it was awesome...so I will. It was AWESOME!!!!! I carried the verses and the groom finished the high parts off. As the song wound down, the groom changed the lyrics to match the lyrics cheezy background video. So Bennie became "Cookie" and was shrieked as the song faded out. It makes my Top Five list of Wedding Highlights. Sometimes when it's quiet and I'm outside smoking a cigarette in the moonlight, I can still hear "Cookie" echo in the distance.

Tortilla Chips and Milk now proudly presents, Biz Markie covering "Bennie and the Jets"



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, I mean really...

/em soul clap

Anonymous said...

you are a god! this is frickin' hilarious and I can see it now! L