Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Tales of Overheard Conversation - A catch phrase deferred

Okay, this anecdote was actually told to me over the phone a few years ago by a buddy of mine who lives in Austin...no not Austin, Kansas...Austin, Texas mofos! I was reminded of this the other day and I had to put it in Tortilla Chips and Milk. The story goes, he was out on 6th Street and he was passing these two guys. They apparently had just parked and one guy was trying to lock his car up while the other guy was doing that thing where he realizes EVERYTHING in his pockets needed to be emptied and reassessed for whether or not it should be left in the car.

The guy must have been wearing cargo pants or something because he was continually handing his friend keys, wallet, cel phone, PDA, etc. Anyway the friend had finally had enough and blurted out:

DUDE! I am not the MAYOR of your SHIT!!!!


When he told me this over the phone we both agreed that this was the greatest phrase used EVER! We discussed the versatility of said phrase for about an hour. Whiny friend bringing you down incessantly with their problems? I am not the Mayor of your shit. Someone needs you to run an errand for them? I am not the Mayor of your shit. Someone tries to involve you in their personal affairs? I am not the Mayor of your shit. And so on...

Since it was coming from a trendy city, we both watched and waited for "I am not the Mayor of your shit" to seep into the culture. Sadly, it never did. I say it's time we change things, yo!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHHAHAHAH

OH man the second in a long line (I hope) of great blogs.

I guess "I'm not the mayor of your stuff" isn't quite as good as the actual line though.

Jansky T said...

I will certainly do my part to try to bring this into the mainstream. Thanks for the laugh.

Andrew McAllister said...

Hey, don't give up on getting the phrase into the culture. Rome wasn't built in a day. Of course if you were there, then maybe you're not the Emporer rather than not the mayor?

Chasing the Dog said...

you have west coast support of "I'm not the mayor of your shit"

makes me giggle just thinking about it.