Monday, August 28, 2006

PAJ watches the Emmys

Aight, so I actually spent the time to watch the Emmys and the E! Red Carpet special...the things I won't do for my Tortilla Chips and Milk readers. First of all I was shocked that they don't go live with the show the way that they do with the Oscars. So I get to watch the pre-show then wait three hours for the actual Awards show to start. That kinda bites! Anyway here's what I learned.

Fashion tips: Apparently, purple is the hot new color these days. Hmmm. You don't say...
Also it turns out that designers are now focusing on accentuating asses in their gown design. Word! It also gives E! an excuse to show all kinds of gratuitous butt-shots. I really am not a fan of the network, but they do know how to keep the males that watch this stuff happy.
I learned that I can actually watch Meredith from Grey's Anatomy without wanting to punch her in the face.Which kinda reminded me why I got sucked into the show to begin with, all the women are hot!

Pam from the Office was interviewed and good lord do they ugly her up for the show. I mean she's cute on the show, but in full award show glory she's absolutely radiant.
The stars of both the Office and Grey's Anatomy got tons of screen time. So being a fan of both shows it made all of this easier to swallow. Oh yeah, Leah Remini aka the TOMKAT liaison really is tired of being asked about Test Tube Suri, so knock it off America!

As for the show:

Even though I love Conan O'Brien, the Emmys were really just meh. Maybe it was the swag bags being taxed but it just seemed so listless. There were a whole lot of choppy moments as well. Maybe they edited the west coast replay, because there seemed to be all kinds of lost seconds. Still there were some cool moments.

Jeremy Piven's win for Best Supporting Actor in Comedy Series was cool, because I've been a long time fan of his...yes, even PCU. Plus, he said the word "fluffer" in his speech. I won't say the HIOB line, but in honor of his win I'll say "What's so funny about peace peace peace, death row what does a brother know? Peace peace peace kapow, wikki wikki, love and understanding"

I really liked the running joke of Bob Newhart being trapped in an air tight container with only three hours of oxygen. I forgot how great Bob Newhart was with the facial expressions.

Screw Howie Mandel and that dumbass show! How much time did that Deal or No Deal pimping take?

Um...I'm trying to avoid the fast track to Hell so I won't say anything about Dick Clark. I did say a quick prayer to the TV gods that the American Bandstand highlight clip would include the late Junkyard Dog singing "Grab them Cakes". Sigh, no luck.

My "holy sh*t!" moment of the night was definitely the original Charlie's Angels on stage together. I wonder though, how many "serious" actors were rolling their eyes during Aaron Spelling tribute.
My two favorite lines of the evening happen in the span of 3 minutes. Starting with Conan O'Brien's intro for Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert presenting Best Reality Show:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, our next two presenters have done for fake news, what the Fox News Channel has done for fake news"

This was followed by Jon Stewart arguing with Colbert:
"Awards show banter is not pablum"

Follow this with Colbert exclaiming "I lost to Barry Mannilow" and you have the best segment of the evening. Amazing Race won, but for the finale alone, American Idol got jobbed.

Maybe the lack of excitement stemmed from Elizabeth I and Girl in the Cafe winning a few awards and keeping the podium filled with unknowns for a good portion of the evening.

The Office wins best comedy show! I would have loved to have seen Arrested Development win as a final "up yours", but if this means more fans for the Office, I'm all for it.
Final Thoughts: Did I blink or did Grey's get shutout of the awards? Julia Louis-Dreyfus' line "I'm not someone who believes in curses, but curse this" was good stuff. So was the guy who won for writing who mentioned people he DIDN'T want to thank. I realize that even though I feel like I watch too much TV , I obviously don't watch enough to care all that much about the Emmys. Of course, that's probably all going to change in a few days.


Tags:

4 comments:

Fyre said...

I caught the Charlie's Angels bit at work. My first thought was "Holy shit, are they gonna let Farrah talk?"

And did Kate Jackson's eyes get closer together over the years, or is that just the plastic surgery?

Paj said...

I thought about Farrah and her past experience with "the crazy", but she didn;t seem any less incoherent than say, Katherine Heigl, so I let it slide. As far as plastic surgery goes...Heather Locklear looks younger now than she did when she was on TJ Hooker!

Anonymous said...

Man, I can't belive Snakes on a Plane didn't get nominated for anything :(

Jennifer said...

Oh man.. I wish I would have remembered to watch that.. It looked awesome.. And Paj I'm proud of you that there weren't more booty shots :P