Saturday, August 05, 2006

VH1 World Series of Pop Culture - The Finals

I wish I had jumped on this show from the beginning. I came across VH1's World Series of Pop Culture while I was in Vegas a few weeks ago. They had a marathon showing during the afternoon and my buddies and I spent a good portion of down time in the "Rain Man" suite watching show after show. We were tired, but not hungover thanks to DrWan's anti-hangover pills. Anyway, the WSOPC finals was this past week and I figured I'd utilize a good idea at least once. Here's the show in play along format. All the questions, no answers, along with my running commentary!

Our first category is Tom Cruise movies, which gets a chuckle from the audience.
They start out with a gimmie. If you think about it Tom Cruise hasn't really been the franchise film type since only one of his movies has spawned sequels. Kinda strange.

This made me think of Ben Stiller's early Tom Cruise parodies. I had to think about the title for a second...just a second though. 2 for 2 suckas!

Heh, a guy I knew used Top Gun as his closer movie with the ladies. He kept using it so I guess it worked...or he really liked Top Gun in the Tarantino way.

This one I actually had to just guess, since I've never actually seen the whole movie. I guessed right though.

The hardest question so far. I just remembered this because it starred Timothy Hutton, who was the hot young actor of the day. Strange how things turn out.

Crap!!! I missed this one. I guessed Rob Lowe. Even if I had gone Swayze with my second guess it would have been wrong too. I just figured they would have given the most entertaining toasts.

I was living in the south at this time ...so, yeah.

There was no way a teenage boy at that time would have not seen this movie because of Elizabeth Shue. Sadly I'll also admit, years before I ever set foot inside a bar, my friends and I made a "Cocktail" parody video to "Hippy Hippy Shake" where we pretty much threw bottles and glasses filled with food colored water all over the place. Once again...Thank God I didn't grow up in the YouTube generation.

I actually saw this movie in the theaters and I still had no clue! What a horrible night that was, we went to two different theaters and waited two showtimes just to get into a movie where they...kept...talking...like...this..all ...movie...long.

Missed this movie...I had no clue.

This was actually the last award winners of the last 10 years. It only went one deep in the answers. Kinda surprising, I could have done about four or five.

For those fans of the show the Boeghy Bunch won that round! The next category is TV Teen Dramas. Um...I don't know if I should be playing along now.
Okay so I got that one, but in my defense I have a younger sister who was a fan of the show.
Okay so that's two now. My sisters also liked that one. Plus it once had an episode guest starring Juliana Hatfield!
Uh...I watched the show because Katie Holmes is hot?

Aight, FINE I have no excuse for knowing this one. HATERS!

Come on, Buffy at least has some cred to it, y'all!

Finally!!! I had no clue there ;) I'm gonna go start a barfight now just to go prove something.
No apologies here...The pre-Oliver OC episodes were really great TV, yo!
I can proudly say I've never seen a Gilmore Girls episode. The category only goes 8 questions in. Awwww...I mean...El Chupacabra wins. Next category.

It's 1990's song lyrics. I'm not going to shy away from saying this is my absolute strength right here. I was totally immersed in music back then and I was still exposed to a lot of mainstream stuff at the time as well. I used to have a game I'd play with this girl I was interested in back in the day. We'd start talking completely in song lyrics and see how long we could keep it going. Our record was close to an hour once over coffee. Yes, I have a strange way of wooing women.
It's like RAYAYAIIIIN on your wedding day! Sorry, I couldn't help it.

On the list of greatest songs of all time and I'm not even a big U2 fan.

True story. I went to the wedding of a childhood friend of mine in rural Kentucky who played the country version of this song over the church speakers in the middle of the ceremony. I kind of teased him about it afterwards, he said it was his wife's idea after they said no to his suggestion. He was going to sing "Lady" by Styx as he played it on the church's baby grand piano. The patron saint of unintentional comedy wept that day for the loss.

This song quite possibly kicked off one of my favorite eras in music.

The only reason I remember this song is because it started a legendary fraternity boy hissy fit in our house living room when Arsenio Hall refereed to this guy as the next James Taylor or something.

Hated this group with a passion. I'll give it away if I mention why. Just...HATE!

Sweet! This song is on one of my YouTube mixtapes. It's kinda tough when the host just reads the lyrics without the familiar cadence.

Another song that's tough without cadence. I actually had to think about this one for a sec.

I used to love to belt this song out. It's such a fun song to sing. I wonder if the karakoe bar has it...hmmmm. We only go nine in. Chupacabra takes this category as well.

We now go to fictional locales. El Chupacabra has a 2 to 1 advantage. In all serious the show is intense as shit!
Embarrassingly enough I blurted out the wrong answer. There is no such place as the Kwik-E-Stop. Damn you Kevin Smith!!!

It's questions like these, that make me really want to play, just so I could get theatrical with it. Makin' their waaaaaaayyy the only way they know how!

Sadly, that applies to this question as well. Them young girls they do get weaaaarryyyy!

We've got a pattern here! I'll choose Judge Smails...Oh Billy Billy Buh-illly.

Wow. I don't know this one. Totally drawing a blank. Wow. It saves me from doing the Elaine dance.

The cancellation of this show and "Sportsnight" led to me scorning the three big networks. With very few exceptions, like Grey's and "How I met Your Mother" I've stayed away pretty well. I'll probably add Studio 60 to that list in the fall as well.
Come on! If you don't get this one you are a total *draws shape in the air* square!
Wow I really would have lucked out on this show. A question inspired by TC and M Mt. Rushmore inhabitant Billy Dee Williams? Shoot, where's the signup for next year, yo! Okay, the dude from the Boeghy Bunch has just missed a Caddyshack, Pulp Fiction, and Empire Strikes Back question. I didn't think that was possible for any guy contestant in their late 20's early 30's. At least one of the three should have been answered by ANY guy on this show.

Just for shits and giggles I would have said syphilis. Just because I've always wanted to say syphilis on TV. I had no clue on this one.

Was there anything cooler than seeing "Angel Heart" while the Cosby Show was in it's prime? Anyway I was a fan of both Cosby and A Different World so I got this one. They both missed it and El Chupacabra wins $250,000 dollars for this yo. I'll bet it will be bigger next year. I now have a new short term goal in life. Now I just need to find two other pop culture jerks!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We could totally do this -- although I will admit to knowing *nothing* about Seinfeld. ;-)

Reel Fanatic said...

This does indeed sound like a great show .. reminds me of that thing Ben Stein used to host on Comedy Central .. I think it was called Beat the Geeks, or something like that

Anonymous said...

I think I failed every single question on that list.

I knew most of the songs, but I couldn't think of the titles :(

Anonymous said...

First of all, you need to give credit where credit is due. You didn't discover this in Vegas, it was handed to you by the judies. We are very upset!!

Paj said...

Why ya gotta front? Check your e-mail, yo!