Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Songs You Should Know: Vans - The Pack

They were the shoes Spicoli wore in Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Weird Al used to rock 'em too. When I finally moved to a town that actually had a Vans store I would walk by, do a double take, turn back in, enter the store and stand and stare, contemplating on whether or not I would drop the four hamiltons on a brand new pair of black and white checkered slip-on Vans. Before I could make a decision I would always get dragged out out of the store. Haters! Still just hearing this line all summer long on my commute made me smile.

"Got my Vans on but they look like sneakers."

See, I turned my back on Kicks like Air Force Ones and Jordans a long time ago. The shits too clunky for me. I will admit that I do have one pair of Grunge Dunks that were a Niketown special, but I only wear those when I gotta represent. I rock the Puma Clydes wit the fat laces 24/7 now, but back in the day I had a pair of Olive Green and Black Vans Lampin's that rank up there with the dopest pair of kicks I ever owned. So yeah, when a Yay Area crew is reppin' Vans I gotta put it on!



The LA Times has more on the Vans trend.

Better yet, if you're like me, you gotta have your own personal touch on just about everything. The Vans Store offers custom made Vans, for those of you who just gotta have the skulls and penguins yo!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So the Pack consists of Baby Usher, Lil'r Jon, Young Diddy, an' Tiny Nelly?

It was Young Diddy that threw me off. I couldn't look away. Its like its the rapperpatch kids.

I live in the bay, where do you find this stuff?

It don't matter, slip on the vans, pound the potato and then get your grown man on.

Anonymous said...

aight I take back the "baby usher" comment. The first guy is more of a Baby D-Roc. I keep expecting a "HANH!"