Thursday, August 10, 2006

Songs You Should Know - In the City, Joe Walsh

Nothing gets me pumped up and psyched more than the movie the Warriors. It's a movie I've been in love ever since I can remember. It's been such an integral part of my life, that it's transcended a movie for me. New York City from Central Park to C.I. the big Coney, through the eyes of that movie, has served as the backdrop to every significant stage of my sometimes arrested development. Every era of my life can be bookmarked with the Warriors playing the background. From childhood, through high school, through college and beyond. Without exaggeration, everyone that's been a significant part of my life, from friends to girlfriends has seen The Warriors with me or discussed it with me at length. To know me is to know "The Warriors".

A certain group of friends of mine would have evenings for years where we would get together and just have it playing in the background, with lines like "You see Warriors? You see what you get when you mess with the Orphans?" or "I'm gonna shove that bat up your ass and turn you into a popsicle" or "No reason, I just like doing things like that!" fill in our dialogue for the evening. Specific throw away lines like "We should come to this part of town more off-ten." and "Come on lady!" have become part of my vernacular. "The Warriors" has been used for parties, to wind down from legendary weekends, for packed living rooms, and for solitary moments. It's my powder blue blanket when I need it and it never lets me down. Well, there was that one night over a decade ago where I got too wrapped up in explaining the movie to a Warrior's neophyte that I ignored the fact that the Warriors neophyte was beautiful girl who just happened to stop by my place past midnight. Still, that was more my fault than the movie's.

For those of you have no idea what I'm talking about here's a little experiment. Next time your in a bar, clink some bottles or glasses together. If possible, take three bottles and put them on your fingers. After you start the clinking noise, repeat the phrase "Warriors, come out to play-ay" a few times and see what happens.

I know this sounds like a "Rent It", but if you haven't seen this movie by now or don't plan to do so, I can't do nothin' for ya. So here's the song that closes the movie "In the City" by Joe Walsh. I'm not big on Eagles history but I'm pretty sure this was originally recorded after he left the group. It's a pretty big deal in the movie that the song is actually listed in the opening credits. There is nothing like hearing this song come on the radio while I'm driving. I suddenly get the urge to drive until I hit the sun.

This was all inspired by a special dedication tonight from my homegirl DJ Eve and I nearly did my MC Pee Pants imitation when I heard it. If I've bored you with all this Warriors talk...sorry bout that. I guess all I can do is play you a song.

"You Warriors are good. Real good."
"The best."




2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Awww nothing but love for my dear old Paj. Those of you wondering I am to DJ Eve. I went through a lot of work to do a special dedication for my boy tonight on the radio :P I to am a true warriors fan... CAN YOU DIG IT!?!?!

Anonymous said...

Eagles are good buisness, that movie is better buisness.

Can you dig it?
CAAAAAN you DIG it?