Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Monday's Season Premieres

I woke up this morning with what felt like a golf ball in my throat, so I took a sick day and tried to rest up. So that meant A LOT of TV in between naps on the couch. This week is a big premiere week and there was a show I've been looking forward to for awhile. Well, you know in between the regular Monday fare of football and Monday Night RAW.

HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER

After growing up a sitcom junkie, this is the only sitcom left on TV that I can bear to watch. I think it has to do with the age of the characters and their rather spot on dialogue. Neil Patrick Harris continues the trend of awesomeness he started in "Undercover Brother" and "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle" as Barney, the show's go to guy for humor. HIMYM doesn't lack for teh hotness either as Robin in smokin'.
The episodes are almost always well structured and are framed as future Ted telling his children the story of well...how he met their mother.

Last season ended with the main character and hopeless romantic Ted, hooking up with Robin, the woman he'd been chasing all season long Meanwhile supporting characters Marshall and Lilly, played by Buffy alum Alyson Hannigan, ended their nine year relationship. The season premiere immediately continues that storyline as we see speed through the first two months of Ted and Robin's coupling and Marshall's coping.

It will be interesting to see how the writers keep the interest up with the Ted-Robin relationship since it was revealed in last season's pilot that Robin is NOT Ted's wife and is simply referred to as "Aunt Robin". The romantic tension is switched to Marshall and Lilly's relationship and I'm not sure that's gonna cut it.

Still, the first episode was just as charming as the first season. The way Marshall reacted and was finally snapped out of his post-breakup funk was genuine, which for a sitcom is saying something. The episode also involved Marshall imagining a scene where Lilly and George Clinton of Parliament Funkadelic were having an affair which culminates when the Funk Legend buys her a ferret. Plus, the show ended with a curious cover of the Cure's "Boys Don't Cry" which was perfect use of the song. If anyone knows who did that cover give me a holla! Anyway, if you can stomach sitcoms, I recommend giving How I Met Your Mother a try.



4 comments:

abacadae said...

I was looking for who did the cover as well. After looking around on iTunes, it turns out it was Grant Lee Phillips.

Who coincidentally also plays the town troubador on Gilmore Girls and played about 20 second cover of "Be True to Your School" by the Beach Boys a few years ago that has had me searching for the guitar tab for that song ever since.

Paj said...

Holy Crap! I never expected any of the schmoes that read my blog...er, I mean my beloved readers, to actually heed my call for Cure covery goodness! Thanks a bunch!

Paj said...

Oh yeah nixforsix, if you're looking for the tabs for Beach Boys "Be True to Your School" this site might be a place to start http://www.sheetmusicdirect.us/

Unless the Grant Lee Phillips cover does something funky with the arrangement...

Anonymous said...

I never heard of this show before, but luckily I wont ever have to watch it.

Thanks Paj, and Tortilla Chips and Milk!
You are my go to guy for cheap entertainment!