Tuesday, September 05, 2006

YouTube MixTape Vol.4

I think I'll put out a mix tape every two to three weeks. I've kept the playlist player going because the page loads so much faster than having multiple videos pop up. So enjoy the goodbye to summer mixtape. Once again, the same rules apply...'cause that's how we roll, suckas!


Bloc Party -This Modern Love
Out of the bands I've run across in the last year, Bloc Party is probably my favorite. I love their unique sound and this song in particular just sweeps me away with the guitars. My love for this song was cemented when they played it in the background of the final scene of last season's "How I Met Your Mother" which is a PAJ favorite.

Jibbs - Chain Hang Low
Sing along with me now to the tune of "Do Your Ears Hang Low?" Do your chain hang low?/Do it wobble to the flow?/Do it shine in the light?/Is it platinum? Is it gold?/Do you throw it over your shoulder?/ If ya hot it make ya cold?/ Do your chain hang low?
The jam of the moment and EVERYTHING I hate about modern hip-hop, but I can't get that tune out of my head!!! Now thanks to me you won't be able to either, SUCKAS!

Beyonce and Jay-Z -Bonnie and Clyde
Aight I can't get enough of Beyonce after seeing her performance on the MTV VMA's. So this is my favorite Beyonce song, which gets much play on the iPod. I had never actually seen the video before. Lt. Daniels from The Wire plays the black cop in this video and it makes me so anxious for the new season of The Wire to start. Anyway, this song is the perfect Hova and B duet. Much better than Deja Vu which I can't listen to all the way through.

Pearl Jam - Yellow Ledbedder (acoustic)
A slightly different guitar for this Pearl Jam classic. To add to this clip's awesomeness it was recorded live in the Yay. Just an amazing rendition.

Soul Asylum and Wyclef Jean - Gone 'til November
Volume is low on this clip, so turn it up a bit. I've been listening to a lot of Wyclef lately. This is an uneven rendition of this song. I got a kick out of seeing Minneapolis rockers mixed with urban flava, though. In a strange way it works. I miss the days when Wyclef was doing more than being Shakira's accessory. Still, it's not a bad gig watching Shakira shake dem honest hips. Word!

Jay-Z - Give It To Me
I had to double up on Jay Z this time out 'cause I've had "I'm a Hustla Baby!" stuck in my head for some unknown reason. Hopefully, this will cut that shit out. This video also makes the cut for the John Witherspoon appearance. He's on the Tortilla Chips and Milk Mt. Rushmore, for his role in "Hollywood Shuffle". As the purveyour of Winky Dinky Dog he uttered the immortal phrase "'Cause ho's gotta eat too!". He also kicked ass in Boomerang as Gerard's "coordinating" father. I know he did a ton of other stuff in his career, but those two roles were worthy of TC and M canonization.

Oasis - Wonderwall (acoustic)
When Ryan Adams released his acoustic version of Wonderwall I was thinking "what a fucking fraud!!!" Oasis had done that song unplugged years ago with Liam heckling Noel from the rafters. Bring something new to the table ass! Anyway, I really dug Oasis even though they nearly caused a rift between Steve and Stan of the Fabulous JP's. Anyway, when we roll, we roll old school mo'fos, so here's Oasis's acoustic Wonderwall.

Keane - Somewhere Only We Know (Live at Live 8)
Shut up! I really like this song! Seriously, shut the hell up! Don't you think PAJ has a sensitive side too? I can't be all 'bout "how I roll" 24/7, yo! er, I mean, I CAN! WORD! Just 'cause I like to kick the big sound piano love song doesn't mean nuthin'. Shut up!

The Plimsouls - A Million Miles Away
I saw Valley Girl over the weekend and it gets better everytime I see it. This is the song in the Hollywood club when Julie and Randy get their mack on. I didn't even know there was a video for this song until a few years back. This is the best song in the movie and yes, it's better than "Melt With You" and "Johnny Are You Queer" suckas!

The Lemonheads - It's About Time
This is Evan Dando's attempt to write an autobiagraphical song if Juliana Hatfield were to write it about herself. Um...okay. If you look hard you'll see a very yummy pre-making out with her brother, Billy Bob, Brangelina, Angelina Jolie.

The Gin Blossoms - Until I Hear it From You
I heard the Gin Blossoms released a new album, which you could sample on their website. It took them ten long years but they finally were able to make an album that sounded just like New Miserable Experience. But the new album doesn't have "Hey Jealousy" on it so it sucks. By the way, if you don't like Empire Records, it's almost as bad as not seeing Snakes on a Plane...which means there will be no reprocussions at all. Haters!

Phantom Planet - California (live)
Sure this is the OC song, but it also marks when I stopped listening to Phantom Planet. "Phantom Planet is Missing" is one of my favorite albums and I still listen to it constantly. "California" marked a new direction for them and I couldn't get with it. Still it's a good live performance with Jason Schwartzman from Rushmore and Shopgirl on drums.

Big Pun - Still Not a Player
Years ago when this song was blowin' up, I remember being down with some shenanigans with one of my homeboys. I was hookin' up with an ex, on the dl from my woman, and he was sniffin around an engaged chick and we were gonna take them out on a fucked up double date. I remember his singing "Don't wanna be a playa no mo" all weekend long. Good times yo!

Snoop Dogg - Drop it Like it's Hot
Totally tangental selection. I was watching last season's The Office episode about the inappropriate e-mails and was inspired by Michael Scott's "forward it...forward it like it's hot, forward it like it's hot...old school" line. I can't wait for the new season to start.

Chamillionaire -Ridin' Dirty
The song that started the summer, yo!


3 comments:

Fyre said...

You had to go there, didn't you? ;-)

Paj said...

Yes, it had to be done. Fake gangsta flashbacks rule!

Anonymous said...

Ridin' dirty is classic, but Chains Hang Low is the new hottness.

I don't even know where to begin on how totally sweet that video is.
Could it be that he keeps rapping about his 24 inch chains? Or how about how he matches his chains with is teeth?

Or if we go video exclusive how awesome are the magic chains that swirl around Jibb has he rapps on his acid trip.

Then the ice cream truck (or was it a chain truck) driver stopped to let the kids look at his wares, then sped up again....until he saw the hot chick!!!

And what about the 6 year old little kids popping and locking, there is like 12 of them, and each one makes the experience better.

Finally my favorite part of the video?
the chains