Monday, September 04, 2006

The Return of Dance-Fighting (If it was ever really gone)

I had a pretty intense long weekend, during which I watched a lot of TV and did a lot of hanging out. Over the course of all that TV watching I had a revelation: Dance-fighting is alive and well in America. No, I'm not talking about Dance competition (see SYTYCD). I'm talking about full-on, Michael Jackson in a parking garage, grab your crotch and scream dance-fighting.

I had forgotten about this important phenomenon until I saw the new video from Brooke Hogan and Paul Wall. Now don't get me wrong--this video is really, really bad. But the big dance-fight at the end where Blondie takes on the chicks from the hood makes it all worth it.



This got me thinking about other instances of dance fighting, and how it has evolved into the trite convention I witnessed Saturday morning on the VH1 Top 20.

Dance-fighting seems to have its origins in musical theater. Those Sharks and Jets were pretty intense, but their use of props such as knives makes it difficult for me to consider it pure dance-fighting. The deadliest weapons are the moves, my friends.

Fast forward to 1982 and the turning point for televised dance-fighting: Michael Jackson's Thriller album. In the landmark videos that sprang from this album, we had zombies dance fighting against the living, and the best garage dance fight ever. In the Beat It video, Michael shows 2 posers how to throw away the knives and really get their dance on. From there he just perfected the art, with Bad, Smooth Criminal--hell, you can name the rest better than I can.

Everything since then has just paled in comparison, with the possible exception of the Black Eyed Peas' Pump It. Their dance fighting is so intimidating they actually defy gravity. Those cheerleader bitches did their best to represent in Bring It On. And don't forget the tension-filled scene in Zoolander where Hansel (he's so hot right now) and the evil DJ are breakdance-fighting for control of the turntables. Who knew a head-spin could be so deadly?

While Brooke's little dance-off may not be the best we've ever seen (and we could discuss forever who ACTUALLY won that fight), it warms my heart to know that this age-old art is still kicking. Sorry, I couldn't resist. Let's just take a moment out of our day and respect the kung fu dance master, shall we?

Rizzle out.

3 comments:

Paj said...

I never thought I'd see the day that Micheal Jackson got on the blog...see what happens when I link a Marky Mark video?

Those girl hoodies totally schooled Brooke! She probablky just took after her Dad and cheated! Stupid Hogans! All she did was the "talky talk" move! I'm doing that right now...am I the dance fight champeen?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Pretty sure while Brooke looked hot (I'm sure her parents couldn't be more proud!), she totally got served. That's probably why she had to leave the club with her entourage. And for the record, Paj IS the dance fight champion. L

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Hogan's daughter growed up to be a back up dancer, sweet.

Great post E-Rizzle, this is TC&M magic right here.