Saturday, September 09, 2006

Songs You Should Know - Pete Rock and C.L. Smooth, They Reminisce Over You (T.R.O.Y.)

I woke up Friday with a message waiting for my on the celly. I didn't get to check until the tail end of my commute since I had to do all the other morning stuff like have the first smoke and fix my tie and all that. When I got the message I could barely make out the other end. No voice, just a song, I could make out the sax intro and that was it...but that was all I needed. I held the cel up to my ear for the entire message, the bass and drum beats drowned everything and it all just garbled in with the static in the background. It didn't matter, I had it in my head and my memory filled in what I couldn't make out. So, I'm driving along, head bobbing, with my cel phone glued to my ear, dodging traffic and through the garbled mess I hear the crystal clear trigger "when they reminisce over you". Sometimes that's all you need for fuel, yo!

I might clown or break ill on the things I don't like about hip-hop, but it's songs like this that remind me why I represent. It's an art form I grew up with and the hip-hop that's the soundtrack of my day-to-day isn't about the bullshit. Sometimes it's good to get that reminder when you least expect it. No jokes on this one, yo. Here's a definite song you should know: Pete Rock and CL Smooth's They Reminisce Over You
Right back at ya, FLA.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thats all cute and heartfelt and all, but how low do their chains hang?